Point Cruz is located at Honiara on the north coast of Guadalcanal bordering Iron Bottom Sound. The name "Honiara" is derived from one of the Guadalcanal languages, "nagho ni ara" meaning "place of the east wind". This was possibly the indienous name for Point Cruz.
Occupied by the Japanese and fortified with defensive positions. The Point Cruz area was the site of several important battles and actions.
September 27, 1942 Marine Landing and Withdrawal
To the west of Point Cruz, the 7th Marines, 1st Battalion, Companies A, B and D landed here on September 27, 1942. Moving 500 yards inland to the top of Hill 84, they became trapped by the Japanese. Supported
by naval gunfire they withdrew to the beach area (between the present day tennis club and the
Mendana Hotel, now the National Gallery and Prime Ministers offices). From
there, they were extracted by landing craft under heavy fire from Point
Cruz. Boat group leader Sig1c Douglas Munro was killed and earned the
Medal of Honor for this action.
Located inland from Point Cruz. Today the King Solomon Hotel is atop this feature.
Located behind Point Cruz is this ravine. On October 8, 1942, Col 'Chesty' Puller's Marines caught a group of Japanese refilling their canteens in the river below. From the hillside above they fired down and eliminated the group.
After the Guadalcanal Battle, this are was developed into a large staging and supply base for the American forces on Guadalcanal, with rows of Quonsont Huts. Today, several of these huts remain near the present day Point Cruz sea port for cargo and container traffic.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
October 23, 2019