Lat 9° 24' 49S Long 160° 20' 21E Taivu village and Taivu Point are located on the north coast of Guadalcanal. Borders Iron Botton Sound and Lengo Channel to the north and to the west is Tasimboko.
On August 19, 1942, the Japanese Army, 28th Infantry Regiment "Ichiki Regiment" under the command of of Colonel Kiyonao Ichiki landed 917 soldiers from destroyers at Taivu Point. Between Augusut 21-22, 1942 following the Battle of the Tenaru (Ilu River, Aligator Creek) roughly 30 survivors returned to Taivu Point to report their defeat and await new orders.
Between August 29, 1942 to September 4, 1942 Japanese "Tokyo Express" runs by light cruisers, destroyers, and patrol boats landed almost 5,000 troops at Taivu Point, including all of the 35th Infantry Brigade, one battalion of the Aoba Regiment, and the rest of Col. Ichiki's regiment. On August 31, 1942 General Kawaguchi landed at Taivu Point and was placed in command of all the Japanese troops on Guadalcanal.
By early September, Kawaguchi had 5,200 troops at Taivu Point. On September 5, 1942 the Japanese advanced westward towards the Lunga perimeter with about 250 troops remaining as a rear guard for the brigade's supply base at Taivu.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
October 23, 2019