Tasimboko village is located on the north coast of Guadalcanal. Borders Iron Bottom Sound to the north and Taivu to the east. Prewar and during the Pacific War part of the British Solomon Islands Protectorate (BSIP). Today part of
Guadalcanal Province in the Solomon Islands.
Coastwatcher Martin Clemens reported to the U. S. Marines that Japanese troops had landed at Taivu Point. On September 8, 1942 a force of 813 Marines under the command of Col Merritt A. Edson were transported in two waves aboard destroyer transports USS McKean DD-90 and USS Manley DD-74 plus two patrol boats. At 5:20am, the first wave of 501 Marines plus Edson landed at Taivu and were supported by aircraft from Henderson Field and gunfire from the destroyer transports.
After the first wave landed, Edson's force advanced towards Tasimboko but were slowed by Japanese resistance and two Marines were Killed In Action (KIA). At 11:00, the second wave landed and continued the push. Believing a major landing was underway, the Japanese retreated into the jungle, leaving behind 27 dead.
At Tasimboko, the Marines discovered the supply base for the Japanese Army "Kawaguchi Force" including large stockpiles of food, ammunition and medical supplies and a shortwave radio. The Marines seized documents, equipment and food supplies, destroyed the rest, and returned to the U. S. perimeter at Lunga by 5:30pm. The quantities of supplies and intelligence from the captured documents revealed that at least 3,000 Japanese troops were on Guadalcanal and were planning a major attack.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
October 23, 2019