|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Lat 8° 30' 0S Long 157° 19' 60E New Georgia Island is the largest island in the New Georgia Island Group (New Georgia Islands) in the central Solomon Islands. Also known as simply "New Georgia". Borders Kula Gulf to the north, Kolombangara Island to the northwest and Ghizo Island to the west. To the south is Munda Harbor, Munda Bar and Roviana Lagoon and beyond Blanche Channel and Rendova Island. Prewar and during the Pacific War part of the British Solomon Islands Protectorate (BSIP). Today located in Western Province in the Solomon Islands.
During April 1942, occupied by the Japanese and the Munda area was develop it into a forward base and airfield to defend the central Solomon Islands. This area was the next battlefield after Guadalcanal was secured to the south. Imperial Headquarters Navy Staff Directive No. 267 instructed: "Hold the central Solomons as long as possible".
The operation was the first offensive probe into the central Solomons by U.S. forces. On July 9, 1943 the U.S. Army troops made a landing on New Georgia. Initially, a very small number of Japanese succeeded in holding up over 4,000 Americans before the island was secured with the remaining Japanese under General Sasaki withdrawing from Arundel to Ghizo on the night of September 20-21, 1943. Afterwards, developed into a major base area to support operations in the northern Solomons.
New Georgia Island Group (New Georgia Islands)
New Georgia Island Group (New Georgia Islands) includes New Georgia and surrounding islands.
Munda (Munda Point) located at the southern coast of New Georgia.
Munda Airfield (Munda Point Airfield) built by the Japanese repaired and used by Americans still in use today.
Kokengola Hill (Kokenggolol) feature overlooking Munda and Munda Airfield.
Laiana (Ilangana, Olsen's Landing) located on the southern coast of New Georgia to the east of Munda.
Zanana Beach located on the southern coast of New Georgia to the east of Munda.
Visu Visu located near Munda on the southern coast of New Georgia.
Mbanika Island located off Munda.
Mbanga Island (Baanga) located near Munda Point.
Kaimbe Island small island near Munda.
Ondonga Airfield Allied airfield on the Ondongo peninsula disused since the war.
Rice Anchorage located on the north coast of New Georgia Northern Landing Force July 4-5, 1943.
Enogai located on the north coast of New Georgia attacked by 1st Marine Raiders on July 10-11, 1943.
Enogai Inlet located to the east of Enogai used by PBY Catalinas to evacuate casaulties after the battle.
Bauroko (Bairoko) located on the north coast of New Georgia includes the Dragons Peninsula.
Bauroko Harbor (Bairoko Harbor) borders Bauroko on the north coast of New Georgia.
Dragons Peninsula (Dragon Point) located to the east of Bauroko and Bauroko Harbor.
Segi (Seghe) located off the southern tip of New Georgia.
Regi located on the southeastern coast of New Georgia.
Viru Harbor located on the southeastern coast of New Georgia.
Tombe located on the eastern side of Viru Harbor on southeastern New Georgia.
Tetemara located on the western side of Viru Harbor on southeastern New Georgia.
Vangunu Island located to the southeast of New Georgia.
Gatukai Island located to the southeast of New Georgia and Marovo Lagoon.
Roviana Lagoon borders the southern coast of New Georgia and Rendova Island.
Wickham Anchorage located to the south of New Georgia.
Marovo Lagoon located to the south of New Georgia.
Blanche Channel located between New Georgia, Rendova Island, Tetepare Island and Vangunu Island (Vanguan).
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|