|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
The Russell Island Group (Russell Islands) is a group of Islands in the central Solomon Islands. To the east is Florida Island Group (Florida Islands) and to the southeast is Guadalcanal. Named "Russell Islands" in honor of British Prime Minister Lord John Russell 1846-1852. Also known as simply as the "Russells". Today located in Central Province in the Solomon Islands.
When first discovered in the middle 1800's the islands were named "Cape Marsh" in the incorrect belief they were an extension of Guadalcanal. Several of the Russell islands were owned by Levers Brothers and planted with coconut palms harvesting copra.
During 1942, some coastwatchers still referred to the islands as Cape Marsh. On February 21, 1943 during "Operation Cleanslate" occupied without opposition by the U. S. Marine Corps (USMC). Afterwards, Pavuvu Island and Banika Island were developed into American bases and airfields.
Russell Island Group (Russell Islands) Locations
Pavuvu Island largest island in the Russell Islands Group.
Pepesala Bay borders the north of Pavuvu Island.
Baisen Island small island to the north of Pavuvu.
Banika Island developed into Renard Field (South Field, Yandina) and North Field (Banika, Sunlight).
Yandina Island small island in east of Banika.
Hai Island (Moko) located to the north of Banika Island.
Sunlight Channel located between Pavuvu Island, Hai Island (Moko) and Banika Island.
Renard Sound borders Banika Island.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|