|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Dick Williams 1982
Lat 07°22.36′N Long 151°52.30′E Dublon Island is part of the Southern Nomoneas Islands (South Shiki) in Truk Lagoon in Chuuk State (Truk) in the Federated States of Micronesia. Named "Dublon" by the Spanish for the island's resemblance to a dublon coin. Known as "Tonoas" or "Tonowas" in the local language. To the north is Moen Island (Weno). To the south is Truk Harbor and Eten Island (Etten, Etan). To the southwest is Fefan Island. To the east was Natshushima Anchorage and further to the east is the edge of the outer reef.
During November 1940, Japan developed Dublon into an Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) base, building a headquarters building, eight barracks, five garages and a hospital. The area to the east of Dublon Island was known as the Natshushima Anchorage. The Japanese administration established a large settlement on the island known as Dublon Town that included trade stores, restaurants and geisha houses to support the Navy base.
During November 1943, the Japanese Navy Fourth Fleet HQ was built a large central concrete building, plus three large and nine smaller buildings. Facilities were manned by the 41st Naval Guard Unit. Forth Fleet Hospital could care for 850 patients in 5 wards and 24 other smaller buildings. 12 Concrete water reservoirs, an ice house, dental clinic, pharmacy, three warehouses and research lab existed. Naval Construction Department included 10,000 men at its peak.
The main radio station of the five in the islands was located at Dublon, where several concrete receivers shelters and buildings were constructed. Forth Harbor Department was located on the southeastern part of the island near Dublon Town. It was 22 wooden buildings including repair shops, warehouses and barracks.
South Seas Development Company had docking facilities on the southwestern tip of the island. Its supply storage and fish cannery were commandeered by the Navy, and it became the Fourth Naval Dockyard. It was the main receiving area for the military. More warehouses and a refrigeration building, HQ, and a two story barracks were constructed. A thousand men worked here on ship repairs, mostly damage sustained to ships from American submarine attacks. The facility also had a 30 ton floating crane and 2,500 ton dry dock. Nearby was a sawmill, and small rail cars connected most of the buildings.
The Truk Transportation department loaded and unloaded supplies from vessels in the anchorage. Since there were no docks for the larger ships, supplies needed to be ferried to the bigger ships. A derrick, carts, 40 trucks, barges, harbor craft, tugs and sampans were used for these purposes.
Japanese Army 52nd Division "Oak"
American missions against Dublon
Dublon Seaplane Base
85th Submarine Base
Dick Williams adds:
Feb 4, 1944
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|