|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Diver Class Rescue and Salvage Ship
213' 6" x 14' 1"
1 x 3" DP gun
2 x twin 40mm
4 x .50 cal MG
AWM October 25, 1945
AWM October 25, 1945
Built by Basalt Rock Company at Napa, CA as part of Maritime Commission contract and named BARS-2. Laid down on February 21, 1942 as Diver Class Rescue and Salvage Ship. Launched September 7, 1942. On May 20, 1943 assigned to the Royal Navy (RN) under the terms of the Lend Lease Act and renamed Cambrian Salvor 0361. Completed July 1, 1943. Postwar, in 1958 renamed MV Caribische Zee, in 1962 renamed MV Collinsea, 1971 renamed MV Francois C and 1981 renamed MV Ras Deira.
During the Pacific War, Cambrian Salvor was operated by the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) in New Guinea. The vessel had hard hat divers for salvage and repairs and a boom with a 10 ton lift capacity.
Assigned to the Australian Commonwealth Salvage Board (ACSB) and used as salvage and repair ship in New Guinea under the command of Captain McDonald. The crew included salvage engineer R. W. Berwick, shipwright J. Rushton. On September 2, 1945 officially turned over to Australia as part of Lend Lease.
During September 1945 Cambrian Salvor and Caledonian Salvor were operating in Simpson Harbor at Rabaul salvaging sunken Japanese vessels.
The first vessel salvaged was Naruto (Japanese Tanker No. 5301) partially sunk in Karavia Bay and successfully raised by the middle of October 1945. The salvage is performed by the crew Cambrian Salvor assisted by 140 Japanese Prisoners Of War (POW) with assistance from salvage tug Hozu Maru.
The second vessel surveyed was Kisaragi Maru (incorrectly identified as "Kisargel Maru") partially sunk in Simpson Harbor during early October 1945.
On October 12, 1948 officially sold to Australia, with the title transfered on October 12, 1948. Cambrian Salvor continued to be operated by the Royal Australian Navy until placed out of service sometime afterwards and offered for sale.
During 1958, sold to Island Tug & Barge Ltd, Vancouver, Canada. In 1962 renamed MV Caribische Zee, sold again and renamed MV Collinsea in 1963, then renamed MV Francois C in 1971 and MV Ras Deira in 1981. During 1981 sold for scrap.
Also known as "The Cambrian Salvor"
NavSource - Cambrian Salvor (0361)
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|