|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
River class frigate
283' x 36.5' x 9'
2 x x 4" guns
8 x 20mm
3 x 40mm Bofors
4 x 20mm twin mounts
1 x Hedgehog 24 spigot A/S projector
up to 50 depth charges
Built by Walkers Ltd., in Maryborough, Queensland Laid down April 12, 1943 as a River class frigate. Launched April 6, 1944 as HMAS Diamantina (K377). Commissioned April 27, 1945 in the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) at Hervey Bay, Queensland.
During July 1945 and August 1945, Diamantina provided fire support to the Australian Army on Bougainville.
On September 8, 1945 Diamantina transported Lieutenant General Kanda and Vice Admiral Baron Samejima with their staff to Torokina to surrender Japanese forces on Bougainville. On September 13, 1945 arrived at Nauru Island and embarked Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) Captain Hisayuki Soeda and Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) Lieutenant Commander Kishimoto who officially signed the insutrment of surrendered their garrison to Brigadier John R. Stevenson, commander 11th Infantry Brigade
On October 1, 1945 accepted the surrender of Ocean Island with the ceremony conducted on her quarterdeck.
On December 13, 1945 Diamantina returned to Sydney Harbor to Garden Island with 86 passengers embarked. The ship remained at Sydney Harbor until February 1, 1946 departed for a patrol in New Guinea. Diamantina returned to Sydney Harbor on June 14, 1946. On August 9, 1946 placed into reserve status.
Recommissioned as an oceanographic survey ship on June 22, 1959. She carried the pennant numbers F377, A266, and GOR266 at various points throughout this period of her career. After successfully completing her first oceanographic survey in July, she embarked on her first oceanographic cruise on August 20. On September 20, the ship performed the first survey of the Montebello Islands following the British atomic test, "Operation Hurricane". On October 22, Diamantina carried out the first survey of the waters around Christmas Island.
Diamantina’s most notable achievement during her second commission was the discovery of the deepest known part of the Indian Ocean on February 7, 1960, which was named Diamantina Deep after the ship. Based in Fremantle, Diamantina remained in service and was used as an oceanographic vessel until 1980. Diamantina was paid off from the RAN on February 29, 1980 and was the last World War II-era frigate to serve Australia.
HMAS Diamantina permanently berthed in the drydock located on the Brisbane River at South Brisbane and is part of the Queensland Maritime Museum. In March 2006, Diamantina was towed out into the river to allow repairs to the dock, which had been flooded since the seals failed in 1998. As of July 2006, she has been returned to the dry dock, where she is used as a self-touring museum ship.
Royal Australian Navy - RAN HMAS Diamantina (K377)
Historic Naval Ship Log - HMAS Diamantina (K377)
WW2 Nominal Roll - John R. Stevenson, 25977
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|