Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
Elco 80'

56 Tons
80' x 20' 8" x 5'

Click For Enlargement
USN c1943
Ship History
Built by Electric Boat Company (Elco) in Bayonne, NJ. Laid down April 29, 1942. Launched July 28, 1942. Completed August 15, 1942. Delivered to the U. S. Navy (USN) as PT-122.

Wartime History
Assigned to assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Six (PTRon 6) under the command of Lt. Comdr. Clifton B. Maddox.

During late November 1942, towed behind a Liberty Ship with PT-121 from Cairns to New Guinea, then by a gunboat Tulsa on December 8, 1942 to Milne Bay arriving December 11, 1942.

On December 13, 1942 PT-121 and PT-122 were sent to Porlock Harbor to establish an advanced base. During the night of December 18-19, 1942 the two PT boats made their first combat patrol. They sighted a Japanese submarine I-4 surfaced off the mouth of Mambare River and fired two torpedoes that they thought hit but did not explode.

During the night of December 22-23, 1942, PT-122 departed Tufi PT Boat Base under the command of Lt. Baughman to patrol the north coast of New Guinea. During the night December 23-24, 1942 this PT-Boat sighted what was believed to be a large submarine [possibly Japanese Submarine I-22] fully surfaced off the mouth of the Kumusi River and possibly another submarine behind it.

PT-122 attacked a sub off the mouth of the Kumusi River:
"2310 sighted a large enemy sub surfaced also sighted dark object to the left and beyond believed to be another sub. 2321 fired after torpedoes at approx 1000 yards range, course 216 T. Starboard torpedo hit after part of sub causing large geyser of water and small flash, sub did not sink. 2325 fired forward torpedoes at approx 500 yards range. Starboard torpedo hit amidships and exploded. This was followed almost immediately by a second violent explosion. Sub broke in half and sank. At 2334 maneuvered to avoid four torpedoes fired from second sub."

Postwar, PT-122 was credited with sinking I-22 near the mouth of the Kumusi River at approximate position, Lat 8° 32' S, Long 148° 17' E. But, an assessment of this combat or the damage inflicted is unclear and unlikely any submarine was sunk or damaged. Ten minutes after the attack, PT-122 maneuvered to avoid four torpedoes.

On April 1, 1943 transferred to Squadron 8 and served in New Guinea and the Philippines until the end of the Pacific War.

On October 28, 1945 placed out of service, stripped and sunk off Samar.

At Close Quarters PT Boats in the United States Navy pages 171-175, 259, 427, 457, 459, 561 (index)
Navy Source PT-122 (photo)

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
August 4, 2020


  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram