|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
20' 8" x 5'
1 x 60mm mortar
1 x 37mm gun
1 x 20mm AA
4 x 21" torpedoes
2 x 50 cal MG
On the morning of November 3, 1943 Commander Henry Farrow arrived with eight PT-Boats including PT-187 to setup a base on Puruata Island, this base was also known as Torokina PT Boat Base due to its proximity to Torokina.
On November 29, 1943 under the command of Lt. Commander LeRoy Taylor with two LCI gunboats covered the evacuation of 700 US Marines who were trapped by superior forces a few miles south of Cape Torokina.
During the night of December 18-19, 1943 PT-124 and PT-187 were damaged by a bomb, but were repaired by the next night.
On May 29, 1944 transfered to MTB Squadron 9. Nicknamed "Eight Ball" with a billiards eight ball for the number "8" painted onto the bridge.
On June 26, 1945 under the command of Lt(jg) Richard M. Dicke with PT-160 made a successful diversionary close range strafing of Beluran town in Labuk Bay while an Australian scouting party landed at nearby Samarang Point. The next morning, the pair made another strafing run 50 yards from shore, suffering a man killed by a rifle bullet and others wounded by shrapnel.
On November 24, 1945 placed out of service in the Philippines. Afterwards, stripped for usable parts then scuttled.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|