|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
80' x 20' 8" x 5'
Twin .50 cal MG
37mm gun (bow)
40mm Bofors (stern)
Built by Electric Boat Company (Elco) in Bayonne, New Jersey. Laid down December 9, 1942. Launched February 19, 1943. Completed May 3, 1943 as PT-196. When completed, the rear portion of the hull had a series of light gray stripes from the midsection to stern to breakup the silhouette. The bow had a shark mouth, eye and nose painted on both sides of the bow. Nicknamed "Elco puss" (also noted as "Elcopuss".
Shipped across the Pacific to the South West Pacific Area (SWPA). Assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Twelve (MTBS 12). Assigned to Lt(jg) Alfred G. Vanderbilt, Jr. and later Ensign James R. Beck. This boat was nicknamed "Elcopuss" later "Green Dragon" then "Purple Shaft" and finally "Shamrock".
During the night of March 12, 1944 to March 13, 1944 PT-196 under the command of Lt(jg) Alfred G. Vanderbilt, Jr. and PT-193 "The Witch / Bitchin' Witch" under the command of Lt. Cyrus R. Taylor departed on a patrol. During the night, they were attacked by a Japanese float plane that dropped a bomb that landed 150 yards astern of PT-193. Gunners aboard the PT-Boats fired at the aircraft and claimed it as shot down. Afterwards, both Taylor and Vanderbilt earned the Silver Star for this action.
This PT Boat operated from Kana Kopa, Morobe PT Boat Base, Dreger Harbor PT Boat Base, Hollandia, Mios Woendi PT Boat Base (Camp Taylor).
Next, operated from the Philippines first from San Pedro Bay and later Ormoc Bay.
On October 26, 1945 stripped of usable parts and scuttled off Samar.
Navy Source PT-196
FindAGrave - Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt, II (photo, grave photos)
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|