|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
77' x 19' 11" x 4' 6"
2 x Twin .50 cal MG
4 x 18" Torpedoes
Built by the Electric Boat Company (Elco) in Bayonne, NJ. Laid down August 23, 1941 as PTC-35, later reclassified BPT-19 prior to completion. Launched November 8, 1941. Completed January 17, 1942 and the transfer to England was canceled and instead retained by the U. S. Navy (USN) as PT-67.
On January 19, 1942 assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 4 (MTBS 4) under the command of Lt. Rollin E. Westholm, USN and operates from the Motor Torpedo Boat Squadrons Training Center, Melville, RI.
On October 1, 1942 transferred to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 8 (MTBS 8) under the command of Lt. Comdr. Barry K. Atkins, USN.
During the Battle of the Bismark Sea, PT-67 under the command of Ens. James W. Emmons, USNR was patrolling with PT-128 and saw Oikawa Maru on fire. Afterwards, both searched further to the west but encountered a rain storm and heavy seas. Operaed from Tufi PT Boat Base.
On March 17, 1943 during a refueling accident at Tufi PT Boat Base, this boat and PT 119 caught fire, burned and sunk.
After the accident, Ensign Donald F. Galloway, USNR became commander of the naval detachment on SS Masaya.
The wrecks were salvaged for non-ferrous metal in the early 1970s. There are at least two live torpedoes among the wreckage.
At Close Quarters PT Boats in the United States Navy (1962) pages 59, 181, 183, 455, 459, 485-486, 488
Indo Pacific Images - The Tufi PT Boats by Don Silcock
Indo Pacific Images - The Tufi Diaries, May 10, 2009 by Don Silcock
Navy Source PT-67 (photo)
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|