|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Motor Torpedo Boat
70' x 20' 8" x 3' 6"
Built by Vosper in Annapolis Yacht Yard, Annapolis, Maryland. Laid down July 31, 1945 as as Motor Torpedo Boat 70' Vosper. Launched September 8, 1945. This Motor Torpedo Boat was intended for delivery as part of lend-lease to the Soviet Union (USSR) but was never delivered due to the end of World War II. Completed September 21, 1945. Delivered to the U. S. Navy (USN) as PT-724. Stricken from the Navy November 28, 1945. Transferred to the War Shipping Administration on July 18, 1947 and sold as war surplus.
This boat had several owners over the decades and operated on the east coast of the United States. In 1967 purchased by George H. Martini of Bradenton, FL and used as a private yacht named "Endeavor II".
On July 5, 2012 sold to Liberty Aviation Museum that plans to restore the vessel.
At Close Quarters PT Boats in the United States Navy pages 484
Navy Source - PT-724
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|