Morobe PT Boat Base was located on the Morobe River at Morobe on the north coast of New Guinea. The Morobe River is navigable for nearly 1.75 nm inland. Also known as "Morobe River PT Boat Base".
On April 8, 1943 this area was scouted by PT-114 under the command of Ensign Dean with U. S. Army General Horance H. Fuller (C. O. 41st
Division) and Lt. Commander Atkins aboard for development into a PT Boat base. This location was deemed superior
to the PT Boat base at Douglas Harbor east of Cape Ward Hunt. On April 14, 1943 PT-128 returned, landing U. S. Army 41st Division soldiers to
occupy the area.
April 20, 1943 three PT Boats: PT-142, PT-66 and PT-149 arrived and began
setting up an advance base for PT Boat operations to replace Tufi PT Boat Base. During 1943, PT-190 and PT-191 operated from this base.
Morobe is a Resort and Regional Government Station.
At Close Quarters
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
July 18, 2020