Tulagi PT Boat Base bordered Tulagi Harbor with shore facilities on both Sesapi on Tulagi Island and Macambo Island. Also known as Sesapi PT Boat Base or Macambo PT Base.
The British administration built a concrete wharf on
Macambo Island. Prewar, frquented by cargo vessels and passenger ships including Burns Philp & Company ship MV Mamutu.
The damaged prewar concrete wharf was repaired and put to use for PT Boat operations. During 1943, U.S. Navy (USN) Seabees built torpedo overhaul and storage facility on the island plus and eight 1,000 barrel tank farm with a pipeline to the dock.
During December 1942 based PT Boats from Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Two (MTBRon 2).
During July 1943, used by U.S. Navy (USN) PT Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron One (MTBRon 1), Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Three (MTBRon 3), and Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Eight (MTBRon 8) for PT Boat operations in Iron Bottom Sound and operations off the western coast of Guadalcanal.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
October 23, 2019