|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
455' x 62' x 28'
1 x 5"/38 gun
1 x 3"/50 caliber gun
8 x 20 mm guns
Justin Taylan 2004
Built by California Shipbuilding (Calship) at Terminal Island off Los Angeles. Laid down as a VC2-S-AP2 Victory Ship. Launched May 31, 1945. Commissioned into the U. S. Navy (USN) as SS Lane Victory named for former slave, and bishop Isaac Lane who founded Lane College in Jackson, TN.
After a brief shakedown cruise and was loaded with cargo. On June 27, 1945 departed California on her first voyage across the Pacific before reaching Manus Island on July 10, 1945.
On August 30, 1945 departed on her second voyage transported food departed August 30, 1945 including fourteen days of the voyage in a typhoon bound for Guam, Saipan and Hawaii and was completed by February 27, 1946 and returned to the United States.
In March 1946 departed with cargo for Europe as part of the Marshall Plan. On May 11, 1948 placed out of service at Suisun Bay, CA.
In October 1950 during the Korean War returned to military service and departed California bound for Korea to evacuate civilians and U. N. personnel from Wonsan in North Korea. In December 1950 delivered 3,8000 U. S. personnel and 1,100 vehicles at Hungnam that advanced northward to Chosin. Afterwards, evacuated 7,010 civilians from Hungnam to South Korean during the short voyage, a baby was born aboard the ship with 7,011 disembarking. After the Korean War, placed out of service in Suisun Bay near San Francisco, CA.
In 1966 during the Vietnam War, Lane Victory again reactivated to active duty transporting ammunition and supplies from the United States to Vietnam. On April 29, 1970 again placed out of service in Suisun Bay, CA as part of the National Defense Reserve Fleet.
During her military service, Lane Victory had voyages in the Pacific and made several transatlantic crossings and one circumnavigation. Because of the ship's excellent condition a group of Merchant Marine veterans including Joe Vernick, John Smith and others lobbied the Maritime Administration years to take custody of the vessel as a museum vessel.
On October 18, 1988 U. S. President Ronald Regan signed into law H.R. 2032 that turned the ship over to the U. S. Merchant Marine Veterans of World War II and towed from Suisun Bay to San Pedro arriving June 12, 1989 and was docked at t Berth 49 in the Port of San Pedro as Lane Victory Maritime Museum.
For three years, volunteers labored to restore the vessel to working condition. In 1990, designated as a National Historic Landmark. In 1992 dry docked to check the hull and on September 10, 1992 conducted successful sea trails. The ship is open to the public as a museum. Each year, the vessel makes several day cruises for guests and hosts commemorative events. Lane Victory has been used as a shooting location for motion pictures and television productions.
Welcome Aboard the S. S. Lane Victory official website
National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places - Lane Victory
NPS National Historic Landmark nomination file for the Lane Victory April 18, 1990
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|