Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
  USS Belleau Wood CVL-24 (Bois Belleau)
aircraft carrier

11,000 Tons
622' 6" x 109' 2" x 26'
26 x 40mm AA guns
24 x fighter aircraft
9 x torpedo aircraft

Click For Enlargement
USN March 27, 1943

Click For Enlargement
USN October 30, 1944
Ship History
Built by New York Shipbuilding Corporation in Camden, New Jersey. Ordered September 9, 1940. Laid down August 11, 1941 as a Cleveland-class light cruiser to become USS New Haven (CL-76). On February 16, 1942 renamed USS Belleau Wood. On March 18, 1942 the order was changed for an aircraft carrier. Launched December 6, 1942 as USS Belleau Wood (CV-24) named for Bois Belleau (Belleau Wood) in France sponsored by Mrs. Thomas Holcomb, wife of the Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps (USMC). Commissioned March 31, 1943 in the U.S. Navy (USN) with Captain A. M. Pride in command. Afterwards, conducted a brief shakedown cruise. On July 15, 1943 redesignated as an Independence-class aircraft carrier CVL-24 then transits the Panama Canal to Pearl Harbor arriving July 26, 1943.

Wartime History
On September 1, 1943 supports the occupation of Baker Island. On September 18, 1943 supports a strike on Tarawa and October 5, 1943 and October 6, 1943 strikes on Wake. Afterwards, joins Task Force 50 (TF 50) and supports the invasion of the Gilbert Islands between November 19, 1943 until December 4, 1943.

Belleau Wood operated with TF 58 during the seizure of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls, Marshall Islands (29 January–3 February 1944), Truk raid (16 February–17 February); Saipan-Tinian-Rota-Guam raids (21 February–22 February); Palau-Yap-Ulithi-Woleai raid (30 March–1 April); Sawar and Wakde Island raids in support of the landings at Hollandia (currently known as Jayapura), New Guinea (22 April–24 April); Truk-Satawan-Ponape raid (29 April–1 May); occupation of Saipan (11 June–24 June), 1st Bonins raid (15 June–16 June), Battle of the Philippine Sea (19 June–20 June); and 2nd Bonins raid (24 June). During the Battle Of the Philippine Sea, TBF Avengers from Belleau Wood torpedoed Japanese aircraft carrier Hiyo that exploded and sank two hours later.

After an overhaul at Pearl Harbor (29 June–31 July 1944) Belleau Wood rejoined TF 58 for the last stages of the occupation of Guam (2 August–10 August). She joined TF 38 and took part in the strikes in support of the occupation of the southern Palaus (6 September–14 October); Philippine Islands raids (9 September–24 September); Morotai landings (15 September); Okinawa raid (10 October); northern Luzon and Formosa raids (11 October–14 October); Luzon strikes (15 October and 17 October–19 October), and the Battle of Cape Engaño (24 October–26 October). On October 30, 1944 while patrolling with her task group east of Leyte, she shot down a Japanese suicide plane which fell onto the flight deck aft, causing fires which set off ammunition. Before the fire was brought under control, 92 men had either died or gone missing.

After temporary repairs at Ulithi (2 November–11 November), Belleau Wood steamed to Hunter's Point, Calif., for permanent repairs and an overhaul, arriving 29 November. She departed San Francisco Bay 20 January 1945 and joined TF 58 at Ulithi on 7 February. During 15 February–4 March she took part in the raids on Honshu on Japan and the Nansei Shoto, as well as supporting the landings on Iwo Jima. She also took part in the 5th Fleet strikes against Japan (17 March–26 May) and the 3rd Fleet strikes (27 May–11 June). After embarking Air Group 31 at Leyte (13 June–1 July), she rejoined the 3rd Fleet for the final strikes against the Japanese home islands (10 July–15 August). The last Japanese aircraft shot down in the war was a "Judy" dive bomber which was shot down by Clarence "Bill" A. Moore, an F6F pilot of " VF-31 "The Flying Meat-Axe from USS Belleau Wood.

Belleau Wood launched her planes 2 September for the mass flight over Tokyo, Japan, during the surrender ceremonies. She remained in Japanese waters until 13 October. Arriving at Pearl Harbor 28 October, she departed three days later with 1248 servicemen for San Diego. She remained on "Magic Carpet" duty, returning servicemen from Guam and Saipan to San Diego, until 31 January 1946. During the next year Belleau Wood was moored at various docks in the San Francisco area, undergoing inactivation. She was placed out of commission in reserve at Alameda Naval Air Station 13 January 1947. She remained in reserve service until transfered to France in 1953. Belleau Wood would received the Presidential Unit Citation and twelve battle stars for World War II service.

First Indochina War (Bois Belleau)
On September 5, 1953 transferred to France Navy (Marine nationale) under the Mutual Defense Assistance Act. Under and renamed Bois Belleau (French translation of "Belleau Wood") and sent to France. In April 1954 departed Toulon bound for Indochina (French Indochina, Vietnam) to replace the Arromanches. On May 20, 1953 arrived at Ha Long Bay with her aircraft were immediately put to use by the French. Bois Belleau served in the French Navy until 1960, when she was returned to the United States.

The Belleau Wood was stricken from the French Navy list on October 1, 1960. Afterwards, sold for scrap and broken up.

NavSource - USS Belleau Wood CVL-24 (photos)
U.S.S. Belleau Wood Association of Shipmates via Wayback Machine June 3, 2003

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
December 3, 2022


  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram