|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Landing Ship Tank
1,625 long tons
328' x 50' 8' 3"
2 x Twin 40mm AA
2 x 40mm AA
12 x 20mm AA
US Army January 2, 1944
Built at Kaiser Shipyard in Vancouver, Washington. Laid down July 10, 1942. Launched October 14, 1942. Commissioned January 25, 1943 at Portland, Oregon as USS LST-454 with Lt. Edward R. Swanton, USNR, in command with seven officers and 49 enlisted men as the initial crew.
On March 11, 1943, the 454 departed the United States traveling via Pearl Harbor, Suva and Noumea before arriving at Sydney. Assigned to Flotilla 7, Seventh Amphibious Force "MacArthur's Amphibious Navy" under the command of Vice Admiral Daniel E. Barbey.
On June 30, 1943 participated in the landing at Woodlark Island. Afterwards, based at Milne Bay then participated in the landings at Lae in September, 1943, and Finschhafen. Next Arawe and Cape Gloucester in December, 1943.
On January 2, 1944 LST-454 participated in the combat landing at Saidor, unloading cargo including L-4A Grasshopper 43-29071. In March 1944 the landing in the Admiralty Islands then in April landed at Aitape and Tanahmerah Bay near Hollandia and in May 1944 landed at Wakde and Biak. In July 1944 Noemfoor and Sanaspor on July 10, 1944.
During the latter part of 1944 and early in 1945, the 454 participated in three major landings in the Philippines- Leyte, Luzon, and Cebu. All the resupply trips they made are are to numerous to mention.
On July 1, 1945, LST 454 landed the Australian Army 7th Division at Balikpapan.
Decommissioned on March 25, 1946 and officially stricken from the register on May 1, 1946. On October 3, 1947 sold to Patapsco Scrap Company in Baltimore, Maryland and scrapped sometime afterwards.
LST454.com World War II - Tank Landing Ship 1943-1945
NavSource USS LST-454
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|