Located in the Markam Valley at Nadzab, due east of the Erap River northwet of Lae. This strip was furthest
north of all the Nadzab area airstrips, it is located to the
north of Nadzab No. 5 Strip. Also known as "Fighter Strip" or "Strip No. 3" or "Texter Field".
Construction was proposed by January 31, 1944. Built by the US Army, the
east to west. Taxiways connected it to No. 5 and the main
Nadzab runways, and extensive
were located around the runway. Operational as of April 1944.
Used primarily as a fighter strip.
American units based at Nadzab No 3
431st FS (P-38) North Embi Airfield (Dobodura No 12) March 26, 1944 - ? Biak
Disused since the war, the runway, taxiways and hardstands are still visible
Richard Leahy adds:
"The lines in the ground visible from the air are not slit trenches, but scoops
for gravel removed to build the runway. All that
ground there is gravel."
Engineers in Theater Operations [Pacific] "Advance Area Airdromes 31 January 1944", Map No. 24
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 23, 2012