Chance-Vought F4U Corsair / Goodyear FG Corsair
The Corsair was one of the most outstanding
fighters of World War II in the Pacific. It was a excellent land based fighter
which became the main fighter of the U. S. Marine Corps with bent gull wings as a distinct
The Corsair was almost
flown by units U. S. Navy (USN) including VF-17 "Jolly
Rogers" and U. S. Marine Corps (USMC) including VMF-214 "Black Sheep" and in the South Pacific. Demand for the Corsairs was such that they were also produced by
Brewster and Goodyear.
The Corsair was the first U.S. fighter to exceed 400 mph and
had much better performance than its predecessor the F4F Wildcat.
Contrary to popular belief, it was not the F4U's long nose,
that deemed it unsuitable
for carrier operations, rather stiff main gear struts and a short
tail gear, which caused the tail hook to bounce over carriers arresting
cables. For this reason, early Corsairs went to the USMC. Later
in the war it was proven that the Corsairs could operate safely off of
carriers, with slight modifications.
Built by Vought-Sikorsky Aircraft Division of United Aircraft Corporation located in Stratford, Connecticut. During 1943, renamed Chance Vought Aircraft Division of United Aircraft Corporation. Later, production was expanded with both Brewster and Goodyear building the Corsair.
Vought F4U Corsair
The first production aircraft, F4U Corsair bureau number 02153 was first flown on June 25, 1942. The first two were accepted by the U. S. Navy (USN) during July 1942.
Built by Brewster Aeronautical Corporation in Long Island City, NY.
Goodyear FG Corsair
Built by Goodyear Aircraft Corporation in Akron, Ohio. The first two FG Corsairs were delivered during April 1943 with a total of 377 FG-1 Corsairs produced during 1943. During 1944, 2,108 were produced. During 1945 a total of 1,453 were delivered by the end of the war. Many early FG Corsairs had non-folding wings, as they were to operated from airfields instead of aircraft carriers.
Radar equipped version of the Corsair used by the U. S. Navy in the Pacific.
The F4U-1C was a batch of three hundred Corsairs with 4 x 20mm cannons installed for use as a fighter-bomber.
Built by Vought Aircraft Division of United Aircraft in Stratford, Connecticut. The F4U-4 Corsair was also known as the "dash four" or "Corsair IV" variant with a larger R-2800-18W engine with a four bladed propeller and redesigned cowling. This model had better flight performance including a greater range, high ceiling and rate of climb.
In Commonwealth service, known as "Corsair" and used by the Royal Navy (RN) and Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF).
Corsair IV Chance Vought Aircraft Division of United Aircraft (1945)
Corsair pages 7-8, 202-203 monthly acceptance of Corsairs
Thanks to Dick Atkins / Chief Historian Vought Aircraft Heritage Foundation for assistance with this profile