More on this from the ABC website on Saturday:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007 ... 002432.htm
HMAS Sydney found, group claims
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:36am AEST
Updated Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:42am AEST
The patron of a long-running effort to find the wreck of the Australian World War II warship HMAS Sydney says claims the ship has been found need to be verified as soon as possible.
The Sydney sank with 645 crew on board in November 1941 after a battle against the German raider Kormoran off the coast of Western Australia.
The ship's wreck has never been found, but now a team of amateur researchers is claiming to have located it in 150 metres of water off Dirk Hartog Island near Carnarvon.
Former deputy prime minister Tim Fischer, a patron of the Finding Sydney Foundation, says despite a number of false leads in the past, this one seems to have substance.
"This is seemingly a welcome breakthrough after all these years - over six decades - and if it proves up to detailed analysis [the families] will be absolutely delighted," he said.
"[There will be] closure for many families living in Sydney and Melbourne and right around Australia, who lost loved ones and members of their family on the HMAS Sydney when it sank."
The Foundation's Bob Trotter says the claim is exciting but needs to be verified.
"If they're right we'd be the first to say well done," he said.
Another related article from the ABC yesterday:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007 ... 002609.htm
HMAS 'Sydney' shouldn't be moved: soldier's relative
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:48pm AEST
A woman whose brother died when HMAS Sydney was sunk off the Western Australian coast during World War II says she would not like to see the wreck moved.
The Sydney disappeared in 1941, with 645 crew on board, after it was attacked by the German raider Kormoron.
A group of amateur researchers claims to have found the wreck off Dirk Hartog Island near Carnarvon.
Audrey Stewart was five years old when her 20-year-old brother William Turner died on board the ship.
She says it would be great if the latest discovery turns out to be the Sydney.
"I reckon it would be very nice, but I wouldn't like it disturbed," she said.
"It would be a bit disturbing - at least we know he's resting there. So I think a memorial of some kind as close to the site as possible would be very nice."
A third related article from the ABC yesterday:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007 ... 002555.htm
HMAS 'Sydney' claim raises treasure hunt fears
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:16pm AEST
There is concern international privateers and relic hunters will seek to profit from what is believed to be the wreck of the warship HMAS Sydney.
A group of amateur researchers claim to have found the wreck off the coast of Western Australia, near Carnarvon.
The Sydney was sunk off the WA coast during World War II, killing the entire crew of 645.
Former Western Australian MP Philip Pendal chaired a select committee into shipwrecks off the WA coast and says the Federal Government must move to authenticate and protect the site.
He says the interests of the finders must also be protected.
"We've seen an appalling list of cases in the past 50 years where the finders of important shipwrecks have been treated badly and I don't think we have to have that repeated," he said.
The men involved are refusing to speak to the ABC and most other media outlets.
It is understood they are attempting to secure payment or sponsorship in relation to the find.
Defence Minister Brendan Nelson says his department is in contact with the researchers.
He says while the results so far are encouraging, no one can be certain until the Navy has conducted a survey of the wreck.
"I'm advised by the Chief of Defence that we can have a Naval survey ship examine the wreck in some detail within the next week and until such time as we've actually ascertained certainly whether it is Sydney or isn't Sydney, I don't think that we should unfairly raise the expectations of Australia and particularly the families of those whose lives were lost," he said.