Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
Carl H. Silber, Jr.
Son of Captain Carl H. Silber, 8th Fighter Group, Adjunct

Click For Enlargement
Carl H. Silber & Aussie Friend

Click For Enlargement
"Texas Terror" Memorial

Click For Enlargement
Dinner at Ingham RSL

Click For Enlargement
Texas Terror Memorial

Click For Enlargement
Helicopter Trip to Crash Site

Click For Enlargement
Memorial Dedication

Click For Enlargement
Click For Enlargement

Dog Tag Presentation

Did you know your father while he was alive?
I had just turned 4 when my dad Capt Carl H. Silber, USAAF, 8th Fighter Group left for overseas. The 8th Fighter Group departed Mitchell Field on 26 January 1942. He was a 2nd Lt then and had been called up to active duty 6 months before the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He graduated from the University of Missouri in 1937 and was in ROTC at the University. He reported to Bolling Field and then was sent to Mitchell Field and assigned to the 8th Fighter Group. I have memories however can't say for sure if they are real or from photos I have seen of him.

What information were you told growing up? 
After my dad was reported missing aboard B-24D "Texas Terror" 41-23825 18 December 1942 over two years went by before the plane was found. I do not remember ever being sat down and told about what happened. My mother and grandmother always started crying when the subject of my dad came up so I always had the feeling that this was not something to talk about. After my mother remarried when I was 10 this made it more difficult to discuss. I always wanted to know more about him however school and marriage did not give me much time to dig for more information, plus all of the records were classified until the 1970's.

How do you get interested in searching for his plane?
It wasn't until 1992 when I was stationed at Yokota AFB in Japan which is 5th Air Force Headquarters that I was able to do research. The 5th AF was 50 years old in 1992 and the base newspaper started running articles on the early day's when they were formed in Australia. I knew my dad was in Australia and New Guinea so I contacted the 5th AF Historian and he gave me addresses to write to for my Dad's records.

This started a 4 year experience and in 1996 I received a copy of the crash report. I couldn't believe it, I had received a document that gave all of the details of the plane crash. I called the Australian Consulate and they put me in touch with a National Park Ranger who was in charge of Hinchinbrook Island. The plane had crashed on the side of a mountain in a bad storm and is still laying 300' below the summit. The ranger told me he had visited the crash site.

After hearing that I had to try and go see it. It was a B-24D-7, first of a run of 25 made by Consolidated in San Diego and was nicknamed "Texas Terror". It was on it's maiden flight to the 90th Bomb Group and my dad joined the flight in Townsville at Garbutt Field. He was returning to his unit in New Guinea after being sent to Townsville to recover from malaria. The Texas Terror departed Garbutt Field at 0815 hrs on 18 Dec. 42 and was one of 6 heading north to the war zone, when they were passing Cairns they ran into bad weather and the Texas Terror was last seen heading out to sea apparently with some kind of mechanical problem. Searches began however after 30 days the plane and men were declared missing.

In 1943 two natives prospecting for tin in the upper gullies of Mount Stralock 3,000' on Hinchinbrook Island discovered the wreckage of the Liberator and reported their find to local authorities. According to official records, navigational error was the cause of the crash. The remains of the crew were removed and interned in Ipswich. After the war, they were moved to a group grave at Ft McPherson National Cemetery, Maxwell, Nebraska. In 1959, climbers uncovered more remains at the crash site and a USAF party from Hawaii [CILHI] recovered them for return to the USA. At this time a group of Ingham RAAF training cadets decided to place a memorial at the location. A six-foot aluminum cross was made at the RAAF Garbutt Base and erected at the crash site. The cross bears the names of those who died in the crash.

Talk about your trip to Australia
In late July 1997 I flew to Australia from Korea and attempted to climb up to the site. I hired a guide who took me out to Hinchinbrook by boat and climbed by myself up a creek for 4 1/2 hrs. The jungle makes it impossible to climb so the creek is the only way up the mountain, it had rained for 3 days prior to my climb and the creek was running very high with water. I made a wrong turn at a fork and it was not possible to cross back over to the other side, so I had to give up and head back down to the shore for a 5pm pickup. This was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, maybe next trip I will try again with a guide.

When I got back to Lucinda Capt Felix Reitano greeted me and that evening took me to the RSL Club, same as our VFW for a dinner with the Mayor and RSL members. They told me I was the first relative to ever show up and had been talking of making a Memorial in Town to honor the Americans. I think my visit was the spark needed to get the memorial going.

Tell about the Texas Terror Memorial
On 25 April 1999 the Texas Terror Memorial was dedicated in Ingham. One other relative Mr. C.W. Hooper, brother of Lt Dewey Hooper, co-pilot attended. Also in attendance from the USAF Gen Lawrence Stevenson, 5th AF Vice Commander, Capt Honchul, 5th AF/PA, Col Steve Sergeant, 8th Fighter Wing Commander, Lt Col Lynnann Merton Robinson, Asst Air Attache, Lt Col Richard Jackson, Asst Air Attache, Mr Thomas Hasepe, Asst to 5th AF Vice Commander. A flight was made to the crash site of the Texas Terror on Hinchinbrook Island in an Army helicopter to drop wreaths over the site of the crashed bomber. Seated left to right in the helicopter are Carl H. Silber Jr, C.W. Hooper and Brig Gen Lawrence Stevenson.

Speak about the return of Silber's Dog Tag
While in Australia for the memorial dedication Mr. Pat Kenny who lives in Townsville saw me on the evening news and called to say he wanted to present me with something. I was taken to Mr. Kenny's home and he gave me one of my dad's dog tags that he had found at the crash site in a climb in 1972. I wore my dad's dog tag around my neck on the way back home to California and feel like I have brought a part of him home with me after all of these years.

Contribute Information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram