Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
  PBY-5 Catalina Bureau Number ? Tail Number 11-P-1

Pilot ┬áLt(jg) George Enloe (survived)
Sunk  September 9, 1942

Aircraft History
Built by Consolidated in San Diego. Delivered to the U. S. Navy (USN) as PBY Catalina bureau number unknown. Assigned to squadron VP-11 with tail code 11-P-1. No known nickname or nose art.

Mission History
On September 9, 1942 took off from Graciosa Bay on Ndeni Island piloted by Lt(jg) George Enloe and suffered hull damaged during the take off but but proceeded with the search mission. Returning, this Catalina sucessfully landed at Graciosa Bay and sank. The crew survived unhurt. Afterwards, the Catalina was stripped for parts and abandoned.

This Catalina was abandoned in shallow water.

USN Overseas Aircraft Loss List September 1942 does not mention this loss
The Pacific Theater: island representations of World War II page 262, 263-264
"The excitement caused by the U.S. Navy activities soon took an ominous turn. One day a PBY returned trailing smoke. After landing safely, it taxied straight to the shore, where it was beached near a village. Just as the crew had safely abandoned it, the aircraft exploded. On another day, another, another returning aircraft sank in shallow water before it could be beached... The two aircraft that were now out of action were among those that had been hit, and because their hulls had been holed, their crews had tried to beach the planes before they sunk in Graciosa Bay.
"The anticipated Japanese attack finally came. At the time, the aircraft were away on patrol, so the attack was directed toward the ship. Bombs were dropped, there was some strafing, but no direct hits were scored. The ship fired back, and witnesses believed that the attack was beaten off. There was apparently one casualty: a local boy about five or six years old, who had been paddling about the ship, was struck in the face by a bomb fragment. He made it back to shore and recovered from his injuries, but he lost one eye. Shortly after the attack, the ship weighed anchor and left Graciosa Bay not to return. The remains of two damaged PBYs that were hit by enemy fire are still visible, one on the beach and one in shallow water. Both have been stripped clean of every fragment that could be man hammered and cut away, but they are testaments to to that memorable war action in Graciosa Bay."
Thanks to Jim Sawruk for additional information

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
June 29, 2019


Technical InfoPBY

  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram