Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks   Donate Now  
Search Chronology Locations Aircraft Vessels Missing In Action (MIA)

C-47-DL "Swamp Rat" Serial Number 41-38601  
USAAF
5th AF
374th TCG
6th TCS

Click For Enlargement
Click For Enlargement

Click For Enlargement
Click For Enlargement
US Army Oct 1942

Click For Enlargement

Click For Enlargement

Click For Enlargement
US Army Nov 7, 1942

Click For Enlargement
Aerothentic 2008

Pilot  2nd Lt. Earl B. Lattier, O-790013 (KIA, BR) Vermilion Parish, LA
Co-Pilot  Pilot Officer Francis Debenham Milne, 33516 RAAF (KIA, BR) Southport, QLD
Crew  T/Sgt Joseph E. Paul, 13006214 PA (KIA, BR) PA
Crew  Sgt Arthur Believe, 16028217 (KIA, BR) NY

Crashed  November 26, 1942
MACR  none

Aircraft History
Built by Douglas. Constructor Number 4629. Delivered to the U. S. Army on August 30, 1942. Ferried overseas via Hawaii to Australia.

Wartime History
During October 1942, assigned to the 5th Air Force, 374th Troop Carrier Group, 6th Troop Carrier Squadron. Assigned Australian call sign VH-CCY. Or, possibly VH-CFX. Nicknamed "Swamp Rat" with the nose art of a large white rat painted on both sides of the nose. On the tail was a white horizontal stripe above the U. S. Army Air Force serial number.

On November 7, 1942 This C-47 was the first Dakota to land at Pongani Airfield and was photographed on the ground being unloaded by 32nd Infantry Division. It became temporarily bogged at the end of the runway before successfully taking off. During late November, this C-47 took part in operations between Wanigela Airfield and Dobodura Airfield.

Mission History
On November 26, 1942 took off from Dobodura bound for 5 Mile Drome (Wards) near Port Moresby. Aboard was Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) co-pilot Milne. While over the north coast of New Guinea at low altitude, intercepted by A6M2 Zeros and shot down. Last seen bursting into flames before hitting the ground. Two wartime positions were given for the crash site: (1) four miles south of Popondetta and (2) five miles south of Dobodura. Also lost is C-47 "Shady Lady" 41-38631.

Wreckage
After the crash, Americans reached the crash site and recovered some remains of the crew.

During 1990, the wreckage was again located by Frank Egiembari and David Pennefather and additional remains were located.

David Pennefather recalls:
"The most significant of my experiences whilst at Popondetta, that belongs to a C-47 transport named "Swamp Rat". Frank led me to this wreck. Human remains were found in the wreckage. As it turned out two American and one Australian. The remains were subsequently recovered by the US Army but because the remains could not be separated one from the other were interred in a joint grave at Arlington. The Australian, named Milne, being the only Australian buried at Arlington National Cemetery."

John Douglas visited the crash in 1995:
"I have been to this wreck about 1995, with Frank Egiembari. He shot a pig, and we had a great adventure. We found half a skull a shoulder blade and part of an Australian uniform, there were Aussie crew aboard. The US Army Quartermaster people didn't do a very good job. I turned over some wreckage on the ground and remains were clearly visible."

During 1990, remains were recovered by US Army CILHI, and transported to Hawaii for forensic identification.

Memorials
The entire crew was officially declared dead the day of the mission. Paul and Believe are were officially declared dead on November 26, 1942. The three Americans are memorialized on the tablets of the missing at Manila American Cemetery.

The remains of all four crew were recovered.

After the recovery of remains, Milne and Paul are buried together at Arlington National Cemetery at Section 34. collective grave 4754. Milne is the only Australian buried at Arlington National Cemetery. Earl B Lattier is buried at Arlington National Cemetery at Section 70 Site 970. Believe is buried at Long Island National Cemetery in Farmingdale, NY at Plot: S grave 3350

Relatives
Phillip Brunskill (nephew of Francis Debenham Milne)
"As part of my search I have found an alternative crew members: Lt Church, Dial that featured in the Pongani bogging and who flew alternate days on "Swamp Rat" as was the practice. I have found the Australian co-pilot a Len Ball and interviewed him! He has given me a story of the "Swamp Rat" ."

References
After the loss of this aircraft, C-47 41-38678 was nicknamed "Swamp Rat II".
Casualty File Microfilm 80350 Frame 1354 (Aircraft serial number incorrectly quoted as C-47 41-18601 [sic] )
RAAF Survey of Aircraft Wreckage, Papua New Guinea, page ? "772 - 15.28 / 145.14 - Cooktown Area - USAC Douglas C-47A 42-934499 [sic] Departed Cooktown for Port Moresby - no further news"
PNG Museum Aircraft Status Card - C-47 41-38601 lists call sign as VH-CFL
WWII Pacific Air Transport History List, Volume 1, page 350
Joe Baugher / USAAF Serial Numbers
Arlington National Cemetery Website - Francis D. Milne Pilot Officer Royal Australian Air Force
CWGC - Francis Debenham Milne
American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) - Earl B. Lattier "Remains recovered"
American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) - Joseph E. Paul "Remains recovered"
American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) - Arthur Believe "Remains recovered"
FindAGrave - Earl B Lattier (grave photo)
FindAGrave - Joseph E Paul (grave photo)
FindAGrave - Lieut Francis D Milne (grave photo)
FindAGrave - Arthur Believe
RAAFDB - Douglas C-47-DL Skytrain 41-38601
RAAFDB - Francis Debenham Milne
Thanks to Michael Claringbould, Daniel Leahy, Edward Rogers and Phil Bradley for additional information.

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
May 22, 2017

Tech Info
C-47

MIAMIA
4 Missing
Resolved

Photos
Photo Archive

All rights reserved.  
  Pacific Wrecks Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)(3) charity dedicated to bringing home those Missing In Action (MIA) and leveraging new technologies in the study of World War II Pacific and the Korean War.  
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram

Forum Updates People Museums Reviews Submit Info How You Can Help