Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
  P-38J-10-LO Lightning Serial Number 42-67783  
13th AF
347th FG
339th FS

Pilot  2nd Lt. Kenneth I. McCloud, O-743460 (rescued)
Ditched  January 28, 1944
MACR  1947

Aircraft History
Built by Lockheed Aircraft Corporation (LAC) in Burbank. Delivered to the U. S. Army. Disassembled and shipped overseas to the South Pacific and reassembled.

Wartime History
Assigned to the 13th Air Force (13th AF), 347th Fighter Group (347th FG), 339th Fighter Squadron (339th FS). No known nickname or nose art. When lost engines V-1710-91 serial number A-035929 and (right) V-1710-89 serial number 42-31427. When lost, weapon serial numbers not noted on Missing Air Crew Report 1947 (MACR 1947).

Mission History
Took off from Stirling Airfield on an escort mission over Tobera Airfield south of Rabaul. Weather was clear with good visibility.

Over the target, intercepted by roughly 60-80 Zeros, McCloud and his wingman were separated from the main group and attacked by Zeros. During the dog fight, McCloud claimed a Zero shot down that collided with another Zero while going down. Last seen over Kabangi Bay by his wingman with a Zero shooting at this aircraft. McCloud failed to return from the mission and was declared Missing In Action (MIA).

McCloud's P-38 had a Zero on its tail that hit his right and left engines before breaking off when another plane intercepted the attacker. Damaged, he searched for a route back to base before ditching into the sea roughly ten miles off Kabanga Bay into St. George's Channel.

Seen going down, four F4U Corsairs followed him down and circled him in the sea before departing. Afterwards, Zeros searched the area, and he flipped the raft upside down and swam alongside to avoid being observed. He was officially declared Missing In Action (MIA).

Fate of the Pilot
On the first day, McCloud attempted to paddle to New Ireland, but a strong current carried him towards the southeast to the open sea. On the second day, at 7:00am, a PV-1 Ventura flew nearby and McCloud attempted to signal the plane using all his flares and sea marker (dye) but the aircraft did not spot him. At 3:00pm a PBY Catalina "Dumbo" escorted by fighters flew within a quarter of a mile of his raft and he signaled again with flares and sea marker but was not spotted. McCloud rigged his parachute as a sail and set a course towards home and paddled when there was no wind.

On the third day, two PV-1's passed within three miles, but again failed to see him and a formation of American aircraft passed overhead at 20,000', but there was no use signaling them. That night, the raft was caught in a wind storm that lasted all night and into the next day.

The fourth day, the storm caused large 30' waves and the strong wind allowed for great speed. Later that day, another front arrived and pushed the raft and blew it back to the north, further from home until it passed by 6:00pm. The storm cause the emergency rations to be lost and McCloud slept during the night to recuperate.

Awakening on the fifth day, a snooty tern had landed on the raft, and McCloud managed to catch the bird, skinned it and ate it raw. Everyday, sharks bumped into the raft. A rain storm allowed him to replenish his water supply. While attempting to fish, within five minutes a bit took the line.

On the sixth day, he caught an albatross, skinned it and dipped the flesh into the sea to salt it and dried it on the raft to make "gull jerky" but the salted food made him thirsty but it continued to rain. In the evening, Bougainville Island was in view, proving he had navigated correctly.

In fact, McCloud managed to deploy his life raft . Over nine days, he used its sail and sea anchor to sail southward towards Bougainville, using the sun and stars as navigation aids and conserving his food and water supply.

The seventh day, saw more planes but was not sighted by them despite using sea marker and signaling. Sailed and paddled all day. On the eighth day, observed more friendly planes but was not spotted.

On February 6, 1944 during his ninth day at sea, McCloud's life raft was spotted by fighter aircraft escorting a PBY Catalina "Dumbo" who spotted his sea marker signal (dye) in the open sea roughly 35 miles west of Buka Passage. The escorting aircraft waggled their wings to indicate they had seen him and returned with the PBY Catalina which landed and successfully rescued him. By 11:30am, McCloud was returned to his unit on Stirling Island.

E&E Report No. 46 - Kenneth McCloud pages 1-4

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
June 29, 2019


Tech Info
  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram