|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
No. 3 Air Armament
No. 31 Squadron
Built under license by the Fairey Aviation Company in Stockport, England, and delivered to the RAAF in 1942. On November 2, 1942 Assigned to 5 OTU (5 OTU). On June 20, 1943 assigned to No. 31 Squadron.
On September 16, 1943, the fighter ran out of fuel and bellylanded at Skirmish Point near Millingimbi when returning from a raid on Taberfane. Two days later, it was flown out and returned to No. 31 Squadron, and then to 4 RSU for repairs.
On August 31, 1944, this aircraft ran off the runway after brake failure and afterwards was repaired. During October 1944 assigned to No. 3 Air Armament Gunnery School in Nhill, Victoria. On October 9, 1947 abandoned.
During 1971, this Beaufort was recovered by an aircraft restoration group.
Afterwards, aquired by the Morrabbin Aircraft Museum. In 1988 aquired by the USAF Museum. After a period of storage, the museum restored the aircraft between 2000–2006. Reportedly, HARS restored some parts for this aircraft. Officially opened for display October 18, 2006.
This Beaufighter is painted in the markings of a USAAF Beaufighter flown by Captain Harold Augspurger, C.O. of the 415th Night Fighter Squadron (NFS). This aircraft shot down a He-111 carrying German staff officers in September 1944.
ADF Serials - Beaufighter A19-43
USAF Air Force Link - Museum adds British Bristol Beaufighter to gallery via Wayback Machine April 18, 2008
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|