|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Built by Lockheed Aircraft Corporation (LAC) in Burbank. Constructors Number 422-8235. Delivered to the U. S. Army Air Force (USAAF) as P-38L-5-LO Lightning serial number 44-27231. Converted to a F-5G-6-LO Lightning photographic reconnaissance version.
In July 1946, sold to James L. Harp of Aurora, IL and registered as NX79123 and flown as Bendix racer #95. Then owned by J. E. Howard of Champaign, IL during November 1946-1948. Afterwards, owned by Ray Reinert, Chicago-Palwaukee, IL from 1948-1950. Next, Carl C. Hughes, San Antonio, TX, 1950-1954. Then, Joseph P. Jacobson, Stilwell, KS, 1954.
Next, owned by Jack P. Hardwick, El Monte, CA from 1955-1976 and stored at Brackett Field, CA . As of approximately 1960, this P-38 was no longer in flyable condition and was stored at the airfield.
During early 2003, sold to The Fighter Collection, Duxford, UK, 2003 and was moved to The Fighter Rebuilders / Planes of Fame Museum awaiting further restoration work. (Unknown if exported to UK or remained in CA).
In 2004, sold to Ronald Fagen / Minnesota Airways LLC of Granite Falls, MN. Painted in the markings of P-38G "Ruff Stuff" 43-2212 piloted by Norbert C. Ruff.
Later, painted in the markings of P-38 "Thoughts of Midnight" with squadron number 120 painted on the nose and tail with red propeller spinners.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|