|
Missing In Action (MIA) | Prisoners Of War (POW) | Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) |
Chronology | Locations | Aircraft | Ships | Submit Info | How You Can Help | Donate |
|
![]() 8th PRS Sept 8, 1943 ![]() 90th BG Nov 30, 1943 ![]() 5th AF January 12, 1944 ![]() Ray Fairfield 1972 |
Location Danip Airfield was located at Danip on the north coast of New Guinea. To the east is the North Coast Road and to the southeast is Alexishafen. Located roughly 21 km south of Madang. Prewar located in Madang District, Territory of New Guinea. At that time, known as Alexishafen Airfield as the only landing ground in the Alexishafen area. During the Pacific War known as Danip Airfield, Alexishafen Fighter Strip, Alexishafen II or Alexishafen No. 1 or Alexishafen Airdrome No. 1. To the southeast, the Japanese Army built Alexishafen Airfield (Alexishafen Airfield I, Alexishafen No 2). Today located in Madang Province in Papua New Guinea (PNG). Construction Built prewar by the Catholic church to provide air service to the nearby Alexishafen Catholic Mission. Used by te Catholic Mission of the Holy Ghost (Alexishafen Catholic Mission) and Mandated Airlines. Prewar as it was the only landing ground in the area, and known as Alexishafen Airfield for nearby Alexishafen. In early July 1935, disassembled Klemm L25-D11 "St. Paulus" HB-XAL was reassembled at Alexishafen Airfield. On July 9, 1935 took off from Alexishafen Airfield and on its first flight in New Guinea flying over Nake. On August 6, 1939 while landing, Fokker Universal VH-UJT piloted by Willy Schafhause crashed on landing killing everyone aboard and the plane was written off. During the middle of 1941 with the threat of the Pacific War looming, tree trunks were placed down the length of the runway to prevent planes from landing. By the middle of 1942 listed as an emergency airfield, with a single runway measuring 800 x 15 x 20 yards. Wartime History During early January 1943, occupied by the Japanese Army and expanded with a single runway with a single taxiway and revetments along the Marrain River, running parallel to the larger Japanese built Alexishafen Airfield. Surfaced with packed earth and crushed coral and granite top cover. In October 30, 1943 the strip was 4,000' x (140) 310'. The strip included 3 bomber and 12 fighter revetments (in October 30, 1943). During 1943, used by the Japanese Army Air Force (JAAF) as a forward airfield for fighter aircraft and light bombers until bombed by Allied aircraft and bypassed by the US Army landing at Hollandia. American missions against Alexishafen (Danip) December 18, 1942–April 15, 1944 Japanese units based at Danip Airfield (Alexishafen Airfield Fighter Strip) 83rd Dokuritsu Chutai / 83rd Independent Air Chutai (Ki-51 Sonia) 13th Hiko Sentai (Ki-43) Boram October 1943 68th Hiko Sentai (Ki-61 detachment) Boram arrives October 15, 1943 77th Hiko Sentai (Ki-43 detachment) 248th Hiko Sentai (Ki-43) late 1943 On April 26, 1944 the Australian Army 30th Battalion advanced from Madang northward along the North Coast captured the Alexishafen area.. At Danip Airfield, were a number of abandoned planes and equipment including a Pratt and Whitney Wasp engine in a wooden crate addressed to "The Catholic Mission via Madang". This engine was imported by the Catholic Mission prewar and was never installed prior to Japanese occupation in early 1943. ATIU Survey of Wrecks On June 28, 1944 a team from Air Technical Intelligence Unit (ATIU) visited Alexishafen and Danip Airfield. They discovered a total of 18 wrecks at the strip, most damaged by bombing and strafing including Sonias, Tonys, Oscars and Lilys. They observed the surface of the strip was in poor condition. Holes cut into the sides of the hills provided protection for a fuel truck. Today Disused since early 1944, the former runway is overgrown. There are still traces of the revetments, crudely built around metal drums and soil to build up the walls, and the scattered remains of a trucks, aircraft bits. In the nearby low ridges, there are some tunnels excavated by the Japanese to store things. Today, there are a few huts of squatters living at the village of Danip or in the vicinity. A concrete pad was used by the Catholic Mission for storage. Junker W33d "The Lady Letti" VH-UIW Abandoned at Danip prior to the Japanese occupation recovered 1985 Ki-48-II Lily Abandoned in a revetment, mostly scrapped Ki-48-II Lily Mostly scrapped, main spar and section of tail only Ki-43 Oscar Manufacture Number 5806 Abandoned at the airfield until 1970s, fate unknown Ki-43 Oscar Abandoned at Danip Ki-43 Oscar Abandoned in a Danip References Notes about New Guinea airfields, recorded circa May - July, 1942 by Oliver C. Doan via Jean Doan research Edward Rogers Index to Air Bases - Research Report No. 85, I.G. No 9185 - July 30, 1944 (Alexishafen II) Australian Heritage "St. Paulus: A Plane of Many Missions" by Pat Studdy-Clift page 19-20 Thanks to Charles Darby, Ray Fairfield and Richard Dunn for additional information Contribute
Information Last Updated
|
![]() Map 1943 ![]() Map Jan 16, 1944 ![]() Map Fallingrain ![]() Photo Archive |
Discussion Forum | Daily Updates | Reviews | Museums | Interviews & Oral Histories |
|