Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
Everett P. Pope
U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) 1st Marine Division, 1st Marines, 1st Battalion
Everett P. Pope was born July 16, 1919 to parents Laurence Everett Pope and Ruth Parker Pope in Milton, Massachusetts. He attended North Quincy High School in 1936. He attended Bowdoin College and was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa honor society and the Beta Theta Pi fraternity. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in French in June 1941 and married his high school sweetheart Eleanor Hawkins.

Wartime History
In July 1941 enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) and commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant. Assigned to the 1st Marine Division (1st MAR DIV), 1st Battalion, 1st Marines (1/1).

On August 7, 1942 he landed on Guadalcanal leading a machine gun platoon and participated in the campaign. Afterwards, to Melbourne and became the commander in the 1st Marine Regiment and landed at Cape Gloucester. Afterwards to Pavuvu. Next, he landed on Peleliu Island.

On September 19, 1944 as the Commanding Officer (C. O.) of Company C, 1st Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment (C/1/1) ordered to seize Hill 100. Although supported by M4 Sherman tanks, the armor was unable to advance when both to slip off the approach causeway and advanced with only support from mortars fire from 2d Battalion, 1st Marines.

Medal of Honor (19-20 September 1944)
Medal of HonorCitation: "For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as Commanding Officer of Company C, First Battalion, First Marines, First Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Peleliu Island, Palau Group, on 19–20 September 1944. Subjected to point-blank cannon fire which caused heavy casualties and badly disorganized his company while assaulting a steep coral hill, Captain Pope rallied his men and gallantly led them to the summit in the face of machine-gun, mortar, and sniper fire. Forced by widespread hostile attack to deploy the remnants of his company thinly in order to hold the ground won, and with his machine-guns out of action and insufficient water and ammunition, he remained on the exposed hill with twelve men and one wounded officer, determined to hold through the night. Attacked continuously with grenades, machine-guns, and rifles from three sides and twice subjected to suicidal charges during the night, he and his valiant men fiercely beat back or destroyed the enemy, resorting to hand-to-hand combat as the supply of ammunition dwindled and still maintaining his lines with his eight remaining riflemen when daylight brought more deadly fire and he was ordered to withdraw. His valiant leadership against devastating odds while protecting the units below from heavy Japanese attack reflects the highest credit upon Captain Pope and the United States Naval Service."

In 1951, Pope retired from the Marines with the rank of Major. During 1953 began working at Workmen's Co-operative Bank in Boston, MA and at age 34 became the youngest bank president in New England. In 1982 became the Chairman of the Board of Massachusetts Higher Education Assistance Corporation. He retired in 1983 to Brunswick, Maine and served on the board of Bowdoin College, his alma mater.

Pope passed away on July 16, 2009 at age 90. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery at section 59 site 3800.

Laurence E. Pope
Ralph H. Pope

Marines in World War II Commemorative Series "Bloody Beaches: The Marines at Peleliu" page 20-21
The Old Breed "Hill 100 – Walt Ridge (now Pope’s Hill)"
FindAGrave - Everett Parker Pope (photo, grave photo)

Contribute Information

Do you have photos or additional information to add?

  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram