Marine Fighting Squadron 214 (VMF-214) "Black Sheep"
United States Marine Corps (USMC)
On July 1, 1942 Marine Fighting Squadron 214 (VMF-214) was commissioned at Ewa Field on Oahu with two officers, twenty enlisted men, and several F2A fighters under Commanding Officer (C. O.) George F. Britt. Initially nicknamed "Swashbucklers".
By February 1943 the squadron deployed to the South Pacific (SOPAC) and operated from Turtle Bay Airfield on Espiritu Santo. For their first tour of duty, the squadron operated the F4F Wildcat from Henderson Field on Guadalcanal until September 1943.
Afterwards, equipped with the F4U Corsair and Commanding Officer (C. O.) Major Gregory "Pappy" Boyington took command. The squadron was renamed "Black Sheep" and was based at Munda Airfield on New Georgia and later Barakoma Airfield on Vella Lavella Island.
Known Aircraft and Losses
F4U 02566 assigned to VMF-214 then transfered to VMF-218
F4U 02608 pilot Bennett MIA October 22, 1943
F4U 02723 pilot Ashmun MIA January 3, 1943
F4U 17735 assigned to VMF-214 ultimate fate unknown
assigned to VMF-214 then transferred to VMF-215
F4U 17915 pilot Boyington MIA January 3, 1943 POW survived the war
F4U 55828 pilot Alexander force landed September 23, 1943
F4U 17884 flew one mission with VMF-214, transfered to VMF-218
F4U pilot Alexander shot down September 30, 1943
Stars & Bars (1995) pages 72 (VMF-214)
The Black Sheep (2000) account of Marine Fighting Squadron 214
Do you have photos or additional information to add?