Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
  P-40E-1 Warhawk Serial Number 41-36166  
5th AF
49th FG
9th FS

Click For Enlargment
via Bruce Hoy 1974

Click For EnlargmentClick For EnlargmentClick For Enlargment
1974 via J. Cockayne

Click For Enlargment
Click For Enlargment
Justin Taylan 2000
Pilot  1st Lt. William F. Haning, O-428817 (survived)
Force Landed  November 17, 1942

Aircraft History
Built by Curtiss in Buffalo, New York. Constructor Number E11273. Delivered to the U.S. Army Air Force (USAAF) as P-40E-1 Warhawk serial number 41-36166. Disassembled and shipped overseas to Australia and reassembled.

Wartime History
Assigned to the 5th Air Force (5th AF), 49th Fighter Group (49th FG), 9th Fighter Squadron (9th FS) "The Flying Knights". No known nickname or nose art. This P-40 operated from Darwin, Port Moresby and Milne Bay. On August 8, 1942 Alison engine serial number 41-36429 was installed from P-40E Warhawk 41-5620. That same day, pilot 1st Lt. William F. Haning Jr. was assigned P-40E 41-36157.

Mission History
On November 17, 1942 took off piloted by 1st Lt. William F. Haning on a mission to escort C-47 Skytrains bound for Pongani Airfield. On the return flight, due to bad weather, P-40E 41-24821 piloted by Lt Floyd Finberg and this aircraft overshot Port Moresby. Low on fuel and lost, they force landed near Hood Point. On the ground, the Haning fired his guns to keep the locals away from the aircraft, because he fear it might catch fire after the landing.

Fate of the Pilot
Haning was unhurt and transported back to Port Moresby and returned to his squadron by November 22, 1942.

Until 1974, this aircraft remained in situ four miles northeast of Kalo village near Hood Point.

On November 8, 1974 the fuselage was recovered by Monty Armstrong, who claimed permission to salvage the aircraft from William Chapman of the Air Museum of PNG. The salvage was funded by David Tallichet / Yesterday's Air Force (MARC). It was arranged that this aircraft would be shipped to the United States, restored and returned to Papua New Guinea. Instead, the fuselage was never delivered to Tallichet / Yesterday's Air Force. The whereabouts of the fuselage are unknown. It was never returned to Papua New Guinea.

Charles Darby adds:
"Near the end of the 1974 Tallichet recovery operations, I visited Hula with Monty Armstrong to plan its recovery.  That appeared to be an easy task as the aircraft was in good condition, close to a road, and on flat grassland, hence I decided to go looking for a B-26 in the Northern District and left Monty to recover the P-40.  I never saw it again, and I returned to New Zealand soon thereafter. I am certain that the fuselage of 41-36166 was not in that shipment to Auckland, as I was present on the wharf when each container was first opened and took part in the immediate on-site unloading and steam-cleaning of all of their contents." [Read Complete Comments]

On November 10, 1984 the wing section was recovered by the Papua New Guinea Defense Force (PNGDF) by S/L Eric Lundberg on behalf of the PNG National Museum. When lifted, 50 caliber shell cases were found underneath the aircraft, confirming Haning fired his guns while on the ground.

Bruce Hoy recalls:
"Bill Chapman [Air Museum of Papua New Guinea] thought the entire aircraft had been recovered as part of the arrangement. He was aware of the fuselage coming into town, as his truck was used, and I saw it parked in his front yard. The engine was also recovered and was not intended to go to the States. However, the prop and spinner was subsequently removed (by Armstrong?) and I never saw them again. It wasn't until Lew Moderate who owned the farm asked him (Bill) when he was going to get the wings, that was when Bill learned that the complete aircraft had not been recovered. He subsequently inquired from Tallichet as to the whereabouts of the fuselage and was told it never turned up in California. Your guess where it did end up would be as good as mine. Perhaps the Land of the Long White Cloud? That is where a P-39 from the same era ended up, with Armstrong swearing black and blue that he had the rights to that one, but I never saw anything to that effect from Treasury files. If he applied for recovery rights, it was done so on behalf of Yesterdays Air Force, and in agreement with Chapman."

Since November 1984, the wing section was displayed at the PNG Museum. During 2001, the wing section was exported by Robert Greinert / HARS and shipped to Australia.

In Australia the wings were either sold, traded or "donated" to Graham Smith in South Australia as the basis of a restoration project. Whereabouts today unknown.

Bob Haning (2nd cousin)

USAF Serial Number Search Results - P-40E-1 Kittyhawk 41-36166
PNG Museum Aircraft Status Card - P-40 Kittyhawk 41-5620 (sic) piloted by 1st Lt. William F. Hanning Jr.
History 49th FG: This aircraft had been escorting Australian Beaufighters on a mission to Zaka near Morobe when bad weather caused the pilot to become lost on the return flight, subsequently running out of gasoline and making a safe crash-landing.
Protect & Avenge (1995) page 88
Thanks to Bob Haning, Craig Busby, Charles Darby, Bruce Hoy and Michael Claringbould for additional information

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
November 17, 2021

Tech Info

Photo Archive

Recovery Notes by Charles Darby

MuseumResearch Notes by Craig Busby
  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram