Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
  P-38F-5-LO Lightning Serial Number 42-12647 Nose 34
5th AF

Former Assignments
8th FG
80th FS

35th FG
39th FS

Click For Enlargement
Click For Enlargement
80th FS c1943

Click For Enlargement
Click For Enlargement
Via PNGBD 1968

Click For Enlargement
John Loughman 1969

Click For Enlargement
Bruce Hoy 1978

Click For Enlargement
Click For Enlargement
Justin Taylan 2000

Click For Enlargement
Click For Enlargement
Justin Taylan 2003

Click For EnlargementClick For EnlargementClick For Enlargement
Justin Taylan 2003

Aircraft History
Built by Lockheed Aircraft Corporation (LAC) in Burbank. Constructors Number 222-7081. Delivered to the U. S. Army during June 1942. Disassembled and shipped overseas to Australia and reassembled, part of the first batch of P-38 Lightnings shipped overseas.

Wartime History
Assigned to the 35th Fighter Group, 39th Fighter Squadron. No known nickname or nose art. Assigned squadron number 34 painted on the tail.

Assigned to pilot 1st Lt Ralph C. Bills and Lt Wayne Rothgeb. This P-38 was also flown by many other pilots in the squadron including Lt. Richard E. Smith and Lt. Stanley Andrews.

On December 31, 1942 took off piloted by Bills on an escort mission over Lae. Over the target, he claimed his second Zero shot down.

On May 14, 1943 took off from Dobodura Airfield piloted by Lt Wayne Rothgeb on an interception mission. During the flight, the right turbocharger exploded an altitude of 27,000' forcing Rothgeb to return to Schwimmer (14 Mile Drome) on one engine but made a safe landing.

After this flight, the P-38 was written off on May 14, 1943, but was repaired and later reassigned. Assigned to the 8th Fighter Group, 80th Fighter Squadron. Assigned to pilot Lt. Cornelius "Corky" M. Smith who nicknamed the aircraft "Dottie From Brooklyn" in honor of his wife named Dot.

On June 21, 1943 took off from 3 Mile Drome (Kila) piloted by Smith at 9:30am with Ray Daly and Jim Ince leading his flight on a mission to escort B-25 Mitchells over Guadalgasal between Lae and Salamaua. Over the target at 15,000', Smith spotted enemy fighters and signaled his flight and they released their drop tanks and dove down to attack and unsuccessfully fired on a Ki-43 Oscar from the 23rd Sentai. When he pulled out of the dog fight, an Oscar was firing at his tail and escaped at full throttle by pulling up.

After clearing his tail, he fired on several other Oscars but did not observe any results, probably firing from too great a range or at the wrong deflection. Fellow pilot Bob Adams flew with Smith and indicated him to take the lead, as his guns were inoperative. Attacking an Oscar that filled his gun sight and saw the enemy's left wing break off and pieces to break off then crashed into the jungle below. This was Smith's first confirmed aerial victory. Immediately, another Oscar attacked Smith and Adams made a run on the enemy and caused it attack him instead but managed to shake it.

Meanwhile, Smith lost Adams and attacked other Oscars flying in a circle. He fired at an enemy plane from 300 yards and caused it to explode between the tail and cockpit, possibly hitting the oxygen tank and crashed into the jungle, his second victory. One of the other Oscars in the circle dove down to attack Smith head on, but he opened fire with a long burst of all his armament that hit the enemy plane in the engine and belly and crashed into the ground, his third victory. Afterwards, he joined up with other P-38s from the squadron over Lae but his engines began to overheat and he returned to base. After the mission, he was credited with three victories and a probable (an Oscars Smith claimed to have fired on that no damage was observed). The enemy aircraft were incorrectly claimed to be "Zeros".

After the mission, he was credited with three victories and a probable (an Oscars Smith claimed to have fired on that no damage was observed). The enemy aircraft were incorrectly claimed to be "Zeros". Both sides over claimed on this mission. The 24th Sentai only lost one pilot shot down and killed, Ki-43 Oscar piloted by W/O Menya. Possibly, other Oscars were lost but their pilots survived and returned to duty. The 24th Sentai claimed eight P-38s shot down, when in fact none were lost. The eight Ki-48 Lily bombers they were escorting escaped without being shot down, aside from several unsuccessful firing passes made on the bombers.

Afterwards, this P-38 was transfered to a service squadron at Port Moresby.

Mission History
During January 1944, this P-38 took off from Port Moresby piloted by an unknown pilot was on a local flight. According to Australian Army soldiers on the ground, the pilot cut both engines, and was unable to restart them and force landed on the salt flats near Lea Lea. The pilot and exact date of the force landing are unknown.

Until 1975, this P-38 remained in situ where it force landed.

During 1975, Monty Armstrong acting on behalf of Yesterday's Air Force / David Tallichet removed the nose section of the P-38.

Bruce Hoy adds:
"As far as I was able to determine, Bill Chapman never owned the recovery rights for this aircraft, and therefore it can be presumed that Armstrong had no right to the removal of the nose section."

On November 14, 1978, the P-38's tail and booms were disconnected, and on November 16, the aircraft was recovered in two sections: the wing and cockpit gondola with the tail/booms sitting on top, were recovered for the PNG National Museum by the Directorate of Technical Services, Papua New Guinea Defense Force (PNGDF) led by Major Doug Crosdale. Air Niugini engineer David Thollar provided technical advice with the disassembly of the tail and booms. PNG Museum modern history curator Bruce Hoy was also present at the recovery. The aircraft was transported to Port Moresby aboard a low loader over two days.

Bruce Hoy adds:
"The left engine was under power when the aircraft made its emergency landing as evidenced by the destruction of its reduction gearbox housing as well as an aerial photo I have somewhere that shows the left propeller separated from the engine and all three blades being bent. There are bullet holes of a large calibre that could not have been caused when it was sitting on the ground due to their trajectory, and lastly the lower airframe has evidence of an on-board fire, from memory, coming from the left engine."

On November 18, 1978 this P-38 was put on display at the PNG War Museum as the main outdoor exhibit. It is believed, this is the earliest E model Lightning on display anywhere in the world.

During 1980 the nose section from P-38G "Dumbo!" 42-12847 was attached to the nose of this aircraft to make the aircraft more externally complete. Also, parts from F-5A Lightning 42-13084 were used to restore this aircraft.

During 2001, Robert Greinert / HARS made a agreement with the PNG Museum to restore the P-38 to static condition for the PNG Museum. Portions of the aircraft including both outer wing panels and tail booms were removed by Robert Greinert / HARS and exported to Australia. These pieces have never been returned nor any was any restoration work done on the P-38 for the PNG Museum.

In 2003, the removed pieces were in storage in a hanger rented by Robert Greinert at Bankstown Airfield.   AAt the time, he agreed to statically restoration and return the P-38 to the PNG Museum along with Ki-61 Tony 640 as part of an agreement with the PNG Minister for Culture and Tourism.

Aside from the removal of parts from this P-38 and other P-38 wrecks around Papua New Guinea, no restoration work has been performed on this "P-38 project" by Robert Greinert, although this restoration for the PNG Museum has been mentioned in Classic Wings articles late as December 22, 2005. Robert Greinert is quoted in Aircraft society rejects smuggling claim: "Since 2000, HARS has been involved in a project with the [PNG] museum to restore free of charge an American P38 Lightning fighter aircraft and a Japanese Kawasaki Tony fighter for display in PNG."

During early 2005, the booms and outer wings of this P-38 were moved to Precision Aerospace, and stored outdoors.

Robert Greinert stated on April 19, 2005:
"The mortal remains of various P-38 parts have been dispatched to Precision Aerospace at Wangarratta for the purposes of remanufacturing various components e.g. new centre section wing spars which will be applied to the [PNG] National Museum's P-38 restoration. You will be able to garner further information throughout the year from reputable media sources such as Classic Wings."

Sometime later, the nose section was also removed by Robert Greinert to Australia and was never returned.

The remainder of the aircraft's center section without the outer wing, tail booms or engines remains at the PNG War Museum. During 2014, this aircraft was moved to the PNG National Museum and placed on display outdoors along the entry driveway.

Linda Goffinet (niece of Wayne Rothgeb)
"Wayne Rothgeb passed away in 1993."

New Guinea Skies: A Fighter Pilot's View of WWII by Wayne Rothgeb
Attack & Conquer page 92, 110 (photo) 112-114
Flightpath Magazine, Vol. 4 No. 2 by Bruce Hoy
Nine News "Aircraft Society Rejects Smuggling Claim" December 22, 2005
PNG Museum Aircraft Status Card - P-38F Lightning 42-12647
Thanks to Bruce Hoy and Phil Bradley for additional information

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
October 23, 2019


Tech Info

Photo Archive
  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram