|Missing In Action (MIA)
|Prisoners Of War (POW)
|Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)
|How You Can Help
Lat 4° 20' 60S Long 152° 16' 0E Kokopo is located on the Gazelle Peninsula at the northeastern tip of New Britain. Borders Blanche Bay to the north and Vunapope and Takubar to the east. During 1884 settled by the Germans as Herbertshöhe. During September 1914 renamed Kokopo. Connected by the Kokopo-Rabaul Road westward to Malapau and beyond to Rabaul.
Between 1884 until September 1914 part of Deutsch Neu Guinea (German New Guinea). Prewar and during the Pacific War part of the New Britain District in the Territory of New Guinea. Today located in East New Britain Province of Papua New Guinea (PNG).
During 1884, Herbertshöhe was settled by the Germans as the capital of Deutsch Neu Guinea (German New Guinea) until 1910 when the capital became Rabaul. Queen Emma's residence was located at this location.
World War I
On September 11, 1914, the Australian Naval and Military Expeditionary Force (AN&MEF) including HMAS Parramatta, HMAS Yarra, HMAS Encounter, HMAS Warrego and later HMAS Berrima landed forces at Kabakaul and Herbertshöhe then advanced inland to Bitapaka (Bita Paka). Afterwards, renamed "Kokopo" the local name for this location.
During the night of January 22, 1942 a Japanese landing force landed at Kokopo and other locations in the Rabaul vicinity, including Karavia Bay near Vulcan. During 1943, Kokopo Anti-Aircraft Defense Unit headquarters was located at Kokopo. Occupied by the Japanese until the end of the Pacific War until the Japanese officially surrender on September 6, 1945.
After the 1994 volcanic eruptions largely destroyed Rabaul, Kokopo was developed and built up and became the new center of town, with many shops, banks and amenities relocating to Kokopo instead of rebuilding in Rabaul.
Oogata Unkato No. 1 (Large Type Cargo Transporting Tube)
Abandoned or sunk on a reef off Kokopo. Salvaged by Pat Roberts (date unknown) and used to transport fresh water at Rabaul and Simpson Harbor.
Type 95 Ha Go Light Tank
Displayed at the center of the roundabout at Kokopo
Kokopo War Museum
This is the War and Cultural Museum, a branch of the National Museum in Port Moresby. It contains an impressive collection of Japanese vehicles, munitions and relics left from the long occupation, and displays the wreckage of aircraft bits collected during new discoveries in the past sixty years.
|Interviews & Oral Histories