Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
  P-47D-4-RA "Fiery Ginger IV" Serial Number 42-22668  
5th AF
5th Fighter Command
348th FG
342nd FS

Click For Enlargment
Click For Enlargment
348th FG 1944

Click For Enlargment
Click For Enlargment
Ray Shearer 1944

Click For Enlargment
Robert Greinert 2001

Click For Enlargment
Justin Taylan 2004

Click For Enlargment
via Robert Rocker 2005

Pilot  Col. Neel E. Kearby, O-21630 (MIA / KIA, BR) Wichita Falls, TX
Crashed  March 5, 1944
MACR  6579 and 6577

Aircraft History
Built by Republic at the Indiana Division of Republic Aviation in Evansville, IN. Constructor Number 419. Delivered to the U. S. Army Air Force (USAAF) as P-47D-4-RA Thunderbolt serial number 42-22668. Disassembled and shipped overseas to the South West Pacific Area (SWPA) and reassembled.

Wartime History
Assigned to the 5th Air Force, 348th Fighter Group, 342nd Fighter Squadron. Assigned to pilot Col. Neel E. Kearby and nicknamed "Fiery Ginger IV", painted in white script with a black shadow on the left side of the cowl with his score board tally on the left side of the cockpit with five rows of Japanese rising sun flags. The first row had five flags, the second row had five flag, the third row had four flags, fourth row had four flags and fifth row four flags representing Kearby's 22 aerial victory claims.

During early March 1944, fellow 5th Air Force fighter pilots Richard Bong and Thomas Lynch were close to breaking the American World War I record of 26 victories scored by pilot Eddie Rickenbacker. Hoping to break the record himself, Col. Neel E. Kearby hoped to score more victories to tie or break his record.

Three other P-47D Thunderbolts were also nicknamed "Fiery Ginger" including: P-47D "Fiery Ginger" 42-8145 MIA October 22, 1944 piloted by 2nd Lt. Ernest R. Ness, P-47D "Fiery Ginger II" serial number and fate unknown and P-47D "Fiery Ginger III" 42-75908 transfered to the 58th Fighter Group and ultimate fate unknown.

Mission History
On March 5, 1944 took off on a combat patrol with P-47D piloted by Captain 'Dinghy' Dunham and P-47D piloted by Samuel V. Blair on a fighter sweep. Proceeding towards the Tadji area, they spotted enemy aircraft over Wewak, and intercepted three Ki-48's Lilys from the 208th Sentai approaching Dagua.

Kearby opened fire on one aircraft, but did not observe it to go down and made a complete circle to attack it again. While performing this maneuver, he was intercepted by a Ki-43 Oscar from the 77th Sentai, before wingman Dunham could shoot the fighter down. Kearby never returned to formation.

Afterwards, Dunham and Blair unsuccessfully searched for him until they ran short on fuel and returned to Saidor Airfield. After landing, both pilots insisted on returning to the area to search for him, Dunham had to be physical restrained from taking off again.

In fact, Kearby was observed by local people on the ground to have bailed out and as he descended he became tangled in a tree and died of bullet wounds from the attack.

Recovery of Remains
During 1946, Kearby's remains were recovered by a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Searcher Team then turned over to the United States.

Kearby was listed as Missing In Action (MIA) until 1948, then officially declared dead the day of the mission. After his remains were recovered, he was transported to the United States for permanent burial.

On June 16, 1949 Kearby was buried at Hillcrest Memorial Park, Dallas Texas at Garden Of Devotion Block 13 Lot 19 Space 7 & 8. He is also memorialized on a plaque for Congressional Medal of Honor recipients at Cape Wom Memorial Park near Wewak.

The wreckage of this aircraft remained in situ until 2001.

During 2001, the tail section of this aircraft one of the .50 caliber machine guns were recovered by Robert Greinert / HARS and exported to Sydney. Stored at HARS at Sydney Airport (Mascot).

During 2003, the salvaged items were donated to the USAF Museum and put on public display during 2005. The tail section is displayed atop a base and the machine gun in a glass display case. Both are displayed with P-47D Thunderbolt 42-23278 painted in the markings of this aircraft.

Note, there was some controversy about which plane Kearby flew on his final mission, but evidence from postwar reports and the crash site proves that he was flying this aircraft on his last mission.
USAF Serial Number Search Results - P-47D-4-RA Thunderbolt 42-22668
"22668 (342nd FS, 348th FG, 5th AF) crashed at Wewak Sepik, Papua New Guinea Mar 5, 1944. MACR 6579 and 7540. Pilot bailed out but became tangled in a tree. He was shot and killed."
Missing Air Crew Report 6579 (MACR 6579) and Missing Air Crew Report 6577 (MACR 6577) detail this aircraft
PNG Museum Aircraft Status Card - P-47 Thunderbolt 42-22668
P-47 and P-51 Aces of the Pacific and CBI by John Stanaway
FindAGrave - Neel Ernest Kearby (photo, grave photo)
Donation of P-47 Tail Section and Machine Gun From Neel Kearby's Thunderbolt to USAF Museum by Robert Greinert
Double Lucky? The Campaigns of the 77th Hiko Sentai by Richard Dunn
Japanese Side of Neel Kearby Mission by Richard Dunn
Thanks to Kenneth D. Wilson for constructor number and Richard Dunn for additional research and analysis

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
March 7, 2019


Tech Info

Photo Archive

Medal of Honor
MOH Citation

1 Missing
  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram