|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Gus Breymann adds:
Afterwards, assigned to the 13th Bombardment Squadron. Nicknamed "Irene".
By midday, one of eight B-25s that took off from 7-Mile Drome piloted by Major Herman F. Lowery on a bombing mission against Lae Airfield. Aboard was Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) S/L Lewis who was selected by the air office to be the air liaison officer in conjunction with the Australian Army commando raid at Salamaua. Over the target, the formation experienced heavy anti-aircraft fire and was interecepted by thirteen A6M2 Zeros from the Tainan Kōkūtai intercepted, including six A6M2 Zeros that had taken off on a Combat Air Patrol (CAP) then joined by seven more A6M2 Zeros.
Due to the shortage in bombers, this B-25 was repaired, it was flown to Charters Towers Airfield and later Brisbane for more extensive repairs, and converted to a strafer and returned to combat in January 1943.
Transferred to the 90th Bombardment Squadron and nicknamed "Feather Merchant". This B-25 participated in the Battle of the Bismarck Sea.
On May 25, 1943 took off from Port Moresby a combat mission against Lae. Over the target, heavily damaged, hydraulic damage and made a two wheel landing. It took a week before it was repaired enough to be flown to to Charters Towers Airfield for further repairs.
On November 30, 1943 transferred to the 345th Bombardment Group, 499th Bombardment Squadron. The crew chief was Ridgeway. Nicknamed "Miss Priority" painted below the cockpit on the right side, and flew combat as a strafer until October 20, 1944.
Taken out of combat service and turned into a fat cat, supply and transport plane around February 1944 with its armament removed, but still in olive drab paint. Later, it was stripped to natural aluminum finish by July 1944, with a red and white striped tail and "Bat Outta Hell" nose markings.
During October 1944, declared war weary, and transferred to a service squadron. At the end of the war, it was abandoned at Tadji Airfield, with its tail removed.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|